Who Can Apply?
Lao citizens from all walks of life are invited to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship. The application process is open and competitive.
Australia Awards Scholarships typically have varying eligibility requirements. Information about programme-specific eligibility requirements can be found below.
Previous Australian government scholarship recipients who are planning to apply for an Australia Award this year are required to have resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time they were in Australia, as of 30 April 2024. For example, if you completed a master’s degree in Australia from January 2018 to December 2019, you are eligible to apply for another Australia Award after December 2023.
Vocational Education and Training (VET) applicants
• Must have completed upper secondary school, or
• Will complete upper secondary school by 30 September 2024, or
• Currently studying at tertiary level, or
• Who already have a diploma or a Bachelor’s degree, must have a minimum of two years’ work experience and be seeking qualifications to fill a skills shortfall or to change career direction.
• Must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and
• Must have a minimum of two years’ work experience.
Note: Those who already have a master’s degree from overseas are eligible to apply; but may be given lower priority and must be seeking qualifications in different areas.
Doctorate degree (PhD) applicants
• Must hold a Master’s degree;
• Must have a minimum of three years’ work experience and
• Must submit an IELTS Certificate of overall score of at least 6.5 with no individual band less than 6.0 obtained after 30 March 2023.
Note: IELTS test fee reimbursement will be paid to PhD applicants who meet all eligibility criteria.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, applicants from Laos must also meet the following conditions:
- be a citizen of Laos (only)
- be aged between 18 and 50 years old as of 30 September 2024
- have been residing in the Lao PDR for a minimum of two years as of 30 April 2024 (exceptions may be considered for Government Officials who have had diplomatic postings overseas)
- provide all of the required supporting documents listed under “supporting documents” and
- declare all previous studies undertaken irrespective of whether it is complete or incomplete.