Depending on your English language levels and the availability of your selected course, awardees are mobilised to commence their studies in Australia for semester 1 in late December to January and in May to July for semester 2. Several universities have three trimester. Awardees must commence their studies in the academic year for which it was offered, unless the Australian Government has agreed to defer an awardee’s studies. Pre-course English language training will be available in Laos for up to 12 months depending on a conditional awardee’s level of English language competency.
- Awardees with disability have access to special support provisions to enable them to study on an equal basis with other awardees.
- Awardees with families are responsible, including financially responsible, for their family members who accompany them to Australia.
- Life and study in Australia provides useful information on various aspects of living and studying in Australia, covering financial issues and support, banking, accommodation, health care, employment and study conditions, useful websites, awardees’ obligations and visa requirements.
- The Awards Office provides assistance with the preparation of Visa applications for awardees and will lodge Visa applications with the Australian Embassy on their behalf.
- A medical examination is required as a first step in the process of applying for a student visa.
- The visa application form sets out the required documents for submission with the application.
The Student Contact Officer (SCO) is the point of contact with the scholarship program while awardees are studying in Australia. If awardees require assistance in temporary accommodation arrangements, institutions will arrange initial accommodation for awardees accordingly. Temporary accommodation is generally on a first come, first served basis. It is important that during mobilisation, awardees advise the Laos Australia Institute if they require temporary accommodation, so that it can be booked in advance to avoid disappointment.
Economy class travel to Australia is arranged by the Laos Australia Institute, flying the most direct route.